Business Incorporation

Select Legal Structure

When starting a new business, one of the first decisions to be made is deciding which legal structure your company should take. You have 4 choices:
  • Sole Proprietorship (also known as “DBA”, “Doing Business As”, or a “Fictitious Name”)
  • Partnership
  • Limited Liability Company (LLC) 
  • Corporation or S-Corporation

Choose Business Name

Choosing a business name is an important step in the business planning process. Not only should you pick a name that reflects your brand identity, but you also need to ensure it is properly registered and protected for the long term. You should also give a thought to whether it’s web-ready. Is the domain name even available?

Here are some points to consider as you choose a name:

  • How will your name look? – On the web, as part of a logo, on social media.
  • What connotations does it evoke? – Is your name too corporate or not corporate enough? Does it reflect your business philosophy and culture? Does it appeal to your market?
  • Is it unique? – Pick a name that hasn’t been claimed by others, online or offline. A quick web search and domain name search (more on this below) will alert you to any existing use.

The package we deliver to you include

  • DeltaFill will complete your Articles of Incorporation (in some states this document is called either “Certificate of Incorporation” or “Certificate of Formation”) and file them with the Secretary of State.
  • Certificate of Good Standing
  • Corporate Kit & Seal
  • Certified Copies
  • Minutes, Waivers, & Stock Transfer Ledger
  • Corporate Stock Certificates
  • Foreign Qualification

Obtain Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used to identify a business for tax purposes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). An EIN is similar to a social security number for your business.

Every business, except for certain sole proprietorships that do not have any employees, should have such EIN. Certain nonprofit organizations such as churches, clubs, trusts, and estates, and others, must also have an EIN.

A business is required to obtain a Federal Employer ID Number if it hires employees or meets other IRS guidelines. In addition, banks usually require businesses to obtain an Employer ID Number prior to opening a business bank account. EIN also known as the Tax Identification Number (TIN), Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), or Federal Tax Identification Number. The EIN is a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.

DeltaFill make it easy for you to get a new EIN for your business. We will file the application for you. Its easy, quick, and secure.

Obtain Federal Licenses and Permits

Depending on the type of business you are in, you may need a Federal license or permit.

Most businesses do NOT require a Federal license or permit. However, if you are engaged in one of the following activities, DeltaFill will contact the responsible Federal agency for you to determine the requirements for doing business:

  • Investment advising
  • Drug manufacturing
  • Preparation of meat products
  • Broadcasting
  • Ground transportation
  • Selling alcohol, tobacco or firearms

Obtain State License and Permits Based on Occupations and Professions

Some occupations and professions require a State license or permit. Laws vary from State to State, however, if you are engaged in one of the following professions, we will help you to contact the responsible state agency to determine the requirements for your business:

  • Building contractors
  • Banks
  • Insurance carriers
  • Physicians
  • Appraisers
  • Accountants
  • Barbers
  • Real estate agents
  • Auctioneers
  • Private investigators
  • Private security guards
  • Funeral directors
  • Bill collectors
  • Cosmetologists

Obtain State Licenses and Permits Based on Products Sold

Some state licensing requirements are based on the product sold. DeltaFill can contact state licensing authorities for you to determine the licensing requirements of your business. For example, most states require special licenses to sell:

  • Liquor
  • Lottery tickets
  • Gasoline
  • Firearms

Obtain Local Business Licenses and Permits

If you intend to operate a business from an office, then a local business license will be required. The purpose of a local business license is to authorize your company to do business in the particular city or county.

Business licenses are typically issued at the City level from the City Hall. If your intended place of business is not within city limits, then the business license will be issued by the County.

Getting a local business license can be a complicated task. There are over 19,000 separate licensing jurisdictions in the United States alone and each has its own particular licensing requirements. Not to mention the hours spent on the phone chasing down the right department, getting the right forms, etc. But don’t worry, DeltaFill is here to help you

Sales Tax Permit

If your company sells physical products within the state where it does business, you may have to collect and pay sales tax. This is usually accomplished by obtaining a State Seller’s Permit or Resale Permit, we can help you to get this permit.

TIP: many service businesses that do not sell a physical, tangible product are NOT required to collect sales tax.